AUR in Manjaro Octopi
The post will help you to enable the AUR in Manjaro Octopi.
Manjaro is one of the most popular Linux distributions based on Arch. You can extend the list of available programs in Manjaro, by enabling the Arch User Repository (AUR). Unfortunately, it is not available in Manjaro by default. At the same time, you can easily enable it. In the article, I will show you how to enable AUR in Manjaro and how to use it in the graphical interface of Octopi.
Enable AUR in Octopi
1. Install compiling programs
To be able to compile programs from the AUR in Manjaro, you need to make sure that all the packages from the
base-devel group are installed in a system. The easiest way to do it is the following:
- Open the Terminal and run the command
sudo pacman -S base-devel.
- Type your user password.
- When the system requests which packages to install, select all.
- When it asks whether to proceed the installation, select yes.
Wait until the utility installs all the required
base-devel packages and close the Terminal.
2. Enable AUR
To enable the AUR in Manjaro Octopi, you first need to install some AUR helpers. I think,
pacaur is the best choice.
- In the search box of Octopi type
- In the main window, click the right mouse button on the package and select Install.
- To apply changes, click on the Commit changes button.
- In the pop-up window, click Yes. Enter the account password.
- When the pacaur installed, restart Octopi by quitting and launching it again.
- Now, when you go to Tools -> Options, you will be able to see the AUR tab.
- Enable pacaur, if it is not enabled yet.
How to install AUR apps
Now, let’s try to install some of AUR packages. For example, try installing Spotify.
- In the search box type
- To search in the AUR repository, click on the green alien head near the search button.
- Find the necessary Spotify package, click the right mouse button, and select Install.
- In the Terminal window, enter the password and wait until it installs.
- After successful installation, press any key to quit the terminal.
- Now, you can run Spotify from the system menu.
This way, you will be able to install any other package available in the AUR repository. To check their availability, visit the ARU official website.
It is very easy to use the AUR in Manjaro. Now, you will be able to access the thousands of apps in different categories.
Hope, the information was useful to you. If you like it, share the material with your friends or leave a comment.